If you are unable to view html within your email program please use the following link
to view Chuck Muth's latest News and Views: http://chuckmuth.com/newsandviews/nv.cfm

JUST CHECKING IN…

Greetings from Camp Jellystone in Williamsport, Maryland.  It’s been over 48 hours
since I even turned on a computer...and, frankly, I never felt better.

Then I opened up today’s local newspaper…

I see that Terry Nichols, one of the guys responsible for killing 161 innocent people
in the Oklahoma City bombing, received 161 consecutive life sentences without parole.
They should have fried him.

But what really ticked me off were the quotes from Nichols’ court statement begging
for mercy.  “Words cannot adequately express the sorrow I have had over the years for
the grief that so many have endured and continue to suffer,” the mass murderer said.
“I am truly sorry for what occurred.”  Not for the grief HE caused; but for the grief
folks “have endured.”  Not truly sorry for what HE did; but for “what occurred.”  Is
this clinical denial or simply a lack of remorse?  They should have fried him.

But take heart, fellow citizens, you can sleep more peacefully tonight knowing that
while his 161 victims lay buried six feet under, at least Mr. Nichols has found the
Lord in prison.  In asking for forgiveness during his court statement, Nichols turned
televangelist, calling for “everyone to acknowledge God.”  Now...where have I heard
that phrase before?

Have I mentioned lately that they should of fried him.

Well, back to happier news...

An eight-foot Yogi Bear came to our campsite this morning and had breakfast with our
4-year-old Kristen and two-year-old Jenna.  I doubt I could possibly describe the
looks on their faces and the excitement in their hearts as Yogi sat down at the picnic
table and shared a bowl of Kellogg's Raisin Bran with them. Some things truly ARE
priceless!

It’s “Wild, Wild West Week” here at Camp Jellystone.  And at the end of the soccer
field here, they have a drive-in-type movie screen where a different Western movie is
shown each night at 9:00...preceded, of course, by a half-hour’s worth of Yogi Bear
cartoons.  Sunday night’s feature was “High Noon” starring Gary Cooper.  Last night
was “True Grit” starring the Duke his ownself, John Wayne.  “Old Yeller” plays
Thursday night.  And there’s a covered wagon ride with Yogi, Cindy and Boo-Boo tonight.

Speaking of Boo-Boo, he’s holding a scavenger hunt for all us kids in 20 minutes...so
I’m outta here.  Priorities, ya know.  Cheers!

THE GOLDWATER DOCTRINE

“I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for
I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to
extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to
inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution,
or that have failed in their purpose, or that impose on the people an unwarranted
financial burden. I will not attempt to discover whether legislation is 'needed'
before I have first determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. And if I
should later be attacked for neglecting my constituents' interests, I shall reply that
I was informed their main interest is liberty and that in that cause I am doing the
very best I can.”

- Barry Goldwater, “The Conscience of a Conservative”

*************************
Published by Citizen Outreach
Chuck Muth
Editor/Publisher
611 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE, #439
Washington, DC  20003-4303
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Citizen Outreach is a 501(c)(3) non-profit public policy organization and does not
endorse candidates or lobby for specific legislation.  The opinions and views
expressed in DC Confidential reflect those of the writers, editors and columnists
therein and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Citizen Outreach, its officers,
directors or employees.