On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Egil Kvaleberg wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, you wrote:
>
> > Would it not be possible for newsx, or a program like it, to be
> > written so that it connect to both newsservers using the nntp protocol?
>
> Fetching news in that fashion is quite well behaved - and this is exactly
> what the INN 2.x "pullnews" utility does.
>
> The problem is the reverse connection - posting to the remote server.

Why is this a problem? They are both nntp servers after all, they both
talk using the same protocol(*). In fact, it isn't AFAICT necessary to
have one local and the other remote; both newsservers could be running
on remote machines for all anyone accessing them by nntp cares (although
obviously there are performance issues).

(*) Not sure this is strictly true. When I connect to my local innd
using Python, I have to tell it ``mode reader'' which presumably makes
it think it is connecting to a newsreader (is the term NUA used?). When I
connect to my ISP's newsserver, I don't have to say ``mode reader''.

> Either the local newsserver outgoing feed must be set up in a manner so
> that it starts when newsx is ready to fetch it. Or newsx has to be a
> resident daemon that receives news from the local server whenever INN has
> something to send. Either of these options have their share of problems.

Why not get newsx to access the local newsserver, and fetch all articles
from it that newsx hasn't already got (I presume this is what it does
with the remote news server)?

> > This would have the advantage that the program would be very easy to set
> > up -- minimally, one could just tell the program the DNS names of
> > the two newsservers, although in practise it would probably be a good
> > idea to also have a list of newsgroups for which news is to be
> > transferred.
>
> You really would need a list of newsgroups,

Could it not default to asking the local newsserver, the first time it
connects, for a list of its newsgroups, and using that?

> just like pullnews requires.
> Which means you have to maintain this list two places, since the local INN
> also needs to know what groups are required. You also need to set up the
> local INN newsfeeds file.
>
> So all in all, I think there would be *more* configuration and setup. And
> more opportunities for misconfiguration. Newsx as it is now only relies
> on the configuration that you would need for INN anyway.
>
> Co-existing with INN, like newsx does now, there are quite a number of
> behind-the-scenes synchronization information that has to be transferred
> between INN to newsx. But hopefully this is not (very) visible for the user.
>
> Speaking of ease of configuration, I aim at having a configuration script
> ready for the next newsx release, that will set up the newsfeeds file for
> you, and ensure that innd is restarted properly.

That soundss good. Look forward to seeing it.

--
** - - - - Phil Hunt  - - - - **
** [EMAIL PROTECTED] **