Thank you for this interesting post Chris.  This has been a dominate topic
of discussion among many birders in the Adirondacks.  Sean O'Brien and I
have been talking every few days wondering what has happened to many
neotropical migrants this year.  I mentioned the low numbers of Blackpoll
Warblers and Yellow-bellied Flycatchers on Whiteface Mountain in my earlier
post today, but numbers of most neotropical migrants appear way down.  Sean
keeps remarking that there is no dawn chorus this year.  Even my non-birder
husband has been noting the lack of birds this spring.  Normally, you can't
sleep past 4:30 a.m. in our house at this time of year because of the
remarkable dawn sounds outside our bedroom window, but it feels more like
late summer every morning with the lack of songs.  I was aware of the
weather-related fallout on the Gulf Coast of Texas in April, and I had to
wonder, with so many birds too exhausted to be afraid of humans, how many
may have perished unseen over the Gulf?

Migration seemed highly unusual this year.  Normally, species like
Blue-headed Vireo would suddenly fill the forests overnight.  This year, I
found ONE, and then a week went by and I found a second one, then several
days went by and they began to arrive in a trickle.  Species were, for the
most part, late arriving and they trickled in.  We have been waiting for the
forests to fill, but it hasn't happened and it is now June 4th.  In a
section of Massawepie Mire that is normally filled with breeding Canada
Warblers, we heard one on Saturday.  It is definitely worrisome.

As you mentioned, BBS surveys may help document the apparent population
declines.  Thanks again for your thoughts about possible reasons for such
worrisome declines.  I too, would be interested to hear the thoughts of
other birders on this topic.

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY