All,

I had been having similar thoughts to Chris: can we quantify the impact of
individual fallouts (or a series of fallouts) at a population level.

*However*, I worry quite a lot about using NFC or banding station counts to
quantify this. Banding stations catch more migrating birds in inclement
weather which forces them to the ground; NFC stations record more birds in
low ceiling and overcast nights when birds are forced lower. Trying to
account for these major weather effects will be a challenge.

I have been thinking that BBS data may be a better course, at least for
species like Scarlet Tanager, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Indigo Bunting and
Baltimore Oriole--all of which were hit hard in Texas.

Best,

Marshall

--

Marshall J. Iliff