Hi Paul,

Thanks for commenting. Your examples are fantastic. All starting abruptly and
peaking almost at 5kHz. The "candidate" examples I provided were peaking
between 4.7 and 5.0 kHz; however, it seems, none of them were sufficiently
outside the range of suspected HF Gray-cheeked Thrush-type calls.

I agree, we don't know enough about the nocturnal vocalizations of Bicknell's
and Gray-cheeked Thrushes to safely rule out some of these HF candidate calls
away from being Bicknell's or to confidently ID them as Bicknell's. We simply
don't know how much true overlap there may be, especially when considering the
individual variation between adults and juveniles, and males and females,
during fall migration. Spring migration, presumably, we would only be
considering male and female variations and could rule out the variability
between adults and juveniles.

Ideally, we would have recording stations located near or on a direct flight
path South or Southeast of their breeding grounds to collect more likely
candidates as comparison.

Most of my recorded Gray-cheeked Thrush calls –  a good 95% or more – can be
safely classified as Gray-cheeked Thrushes, due to their overall structure and
the lower frequency nature of the calls. The other 5% or fewer become more
questionable, because of the unknowns between HF Gray-cheeked and LF Bicknell's.

I'd feel pretty safe calling a candidate call a Bicknell's, if it was above
5kHz and had that characteristic abrupt onset (not just humped or arched, as
with classic Gray-cheeked calls), plus that relatively longer wheezy trailing
descent.

Only if we could slap microphones on these birds to record their calls during
their migrations…!

Other insight or comments are very much welcomed in this discussion.

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Chris T-H

PS - I had problems opening Paul's files in Raven as mp3's, so opened in
Audacity and converted to 16-bit WAV files. If desired, I can post them
individually.