Aha! I did a little searching. It looks like it is possible to cancel out the unwanted sounds, real-time. My first result was this, which describes adaptive noise cancellation technology:

http://www.developer.com/java/other/article.php/3599661

Sincerely,
Chris T-H

Chris Tessaglia-Hymes wrote:
So, the question is: can the unwanted cricket and katydid sounds be removed from the audio channel at the time of sound acquisition, real-time, such that their acoustic signatures are minimized or eliminated altogether from the collected sound data prior to an automatic detector batch process?

Sincerely,
Chris T-H

Michael Lanzone wrote:
No software we have worked with gets near 100%. I have toyed around with templates that got 95% of the calls, and detectors can get ~90%, but more commonly get in the 60-80% range. In Louisiana with the insects it would be on the low end of this. Katydids and such are problematic for detectors...

Best,
Mike

Sent from my iPhone