Some comments below regarding use of Raven for review of
detections/selections.  Also, to answer Chris T-H's question about the
BirdCast transient detector and the energy detector in Raven, the
detector in Raven is a port of the old BirdCast detector to Java.  They
should function similarly if you use the same parameters.

- Tim

On 8/22/09 10:06 AM, e kent wrote:
> Erik Johnson wrote:  "What's also frustrating is that I get a TON of
> trash clips - many more than birds clips."
>
> To be clear, I'm a hobbyist with limited time, so I use detectors
> *assuming* it will give acceptable results more quickly than
> viewing/listening to sound files directly.
>
> Unfortunately, as Mike Lanzone points out, Trash-versus-Bird is one
> trade-off when using detectors.  However, this trade-off can be
> mitigated by an efficient tool to sift through the trash.  For
> the this discussion, I'll say the software detection process has two
> major phases: the software detection itself, and then the human
> classification phase (trash versus bird).
>
> Not sure if others agree, but as others work to improve the detectors,
> I think a quick win is an improved tool for the 2nd phase,
> wheat-vs-chaff classification.
>
> For example, last night I ran a file through a Raven detector
> graciously forwarded by Mike Powers.  Examining the results with
> Glass-of-Fire, I labelled one sound out of 200+ detections as a bird
> (same as when I used Tseep/Thrush against the file).   This was quick
> and painless.
>
> However, individual review of Raven detections revealed I
> *incorrectly* labelled 7 bird calls as Noise in Glass-of-Fire.  This
> is because Glass-of-Fire stretches spectrograms to a pre-defined size,
> rendering the bird calls visually unrecognizable.  So, the detector
> found birds, but the efficient classifier was inaccurate.
>
> Manual review of each Raven detection was accurate, but highly
> inefficient:  viewing hundreds of selections one-at-a-time is slow and
> tedious.  The bounding boxes effectively hide short sounds.  Keeping
> or deleting good/bad selections from the selection list is error prone.
TK> You can hide the bounding boxes in Raven using the Layout side
panel.  When doing this, you can increase the opacity of the selection
fill to be able to see the selections, thereby allowing you to see the
entire selection without the bounds getting in the way.  You can also
show the selection number using the View > Configure Selection Labels
dialog.  This is what Anne K. has done effectively.  We've recently
received requests to be able to advance through selections automatically
without any keystrokes or button presses.  In Raven Pro 1.4 build 24
(currently in test), we have such a feature.  You can advance through
each selection with a delay time in between, and you can optionally play
the selections as you advance through them.  Perhaps this is still not
as efficient as MxN selections displayed in a grid, but it does save on
RSI for those people who have to scan their selections.  Rather than
deleting selections from a table, it might make sense to add a
particular annotation to them (x, d for delete, b for bad), then sort by
that annotation column, then move all of the matching annotations to a
new table.  We'll open a new feature request for the clip viewer.

> Glass-of-Fire is a great format: view page-fulls of spectograms, and
> quickly classify them with key combos.  A great improvement would be
> to present spectrograms without stretching.  To use Raven detections
> with a Glass-of-Fire style viewer, it would be helpful to see more
> sound around the Raven detection.  For example, in the case of a
> longer bird call it successfully detected part of the call, without
> selecting the whole sound.  In the case of a short call, it's
> difficult to understand what you're looking at without seeing more
> context around the sound.
TK> When you export clips from Raven (File > Save All Selections...),
you can specify a pad size so that Raven saves extra time around the
selection as part of the exported file.  This will not get you identical
file sizes unless you first alter the size of the selections in Raven.
You can also save the Raven table, then edit it in Excel so that all of
the selection time widths are identical.