Hi,

we're a smaller ISP and I recently "refreshed" nfsen - being astonished!
First time I get a simply usable environment to take advantage of
netflow -> great stuff!

Well, things weren't easy setting up Plugins PortTrack, Events,
Events_mail, Botnet but finally it works.
I might put some of the pitfalls together regarding these a later time..

Now I asked myself: wether there are some more examples/best-practice
for Alerts (detect Portscans, things "going wild" etc.) ?

I haven't found that much so far, surely the right parameters could be
found out tuning myself for weeks, but I'm sure there are some out there
having reasonable Alerts in place where just the numbers might have to
be adjusted..

The ambition is to detect things like large-scale Portscans form
internal and external, internal Hosts doing "strange" things like
trying/sending many SMTP (despite legitimate Servers) out and whatever
one could imagine being unusual traffic.

Any hints appreciated, maybe someone wants to share some rules/alerts ;)

best regards,

Michael