Thus said aalin...@riseup.net on Mon, 15 Jan 2024 08:57:51 -0500:

> Now when I look at it instead of base64 it says 8bit. Am I confused or
> is that what mhfixmsg did, changed the message from base64 to 8bit?

According to  the manpage for mhfixmsg,  it's supposed to make  a backup
copy of the  original message before making  alterations. Hopefully that
worked, and hopefully  the backup hasn't yet been  overwritten, and then
you can inspect the backup to see what the original looked like.

If you are unaware, a backup is  the same message number prefixed with a
comma (,)  in the  folder where  it is  found. So  for example,  if your
message number was 1234, you should have  a ,1234 in the folder that you
can look at.

Andy