I am just catching up on all this and fascinated by all you folks on this debate.

Rob MacKilllop's CD is on Greentrax and it is a must for anybody interested in very old lute tunes and other Scottish material. A lot of it is lifted from old manuscripts in the Scottish National Library in Edinburgh. I have been in and had a look a few weeks ago. Amazing stuff in various collections and well worth a look, some of it on a 6 line stave[one extra at the bottom] and some in a form of ABC. Lots more lovely stuff if you have the time to dig around. I found a version of Mary Scott from 1704 in Agnes Hume's handwritten tune book for example.

Rob plays everything on various lutes, mandours,cittern, and 18th century guitar. Joyous stuff.

Hope some of this is helpful.

Ken Campbell