Well, this is what Dunk actually wrote, transcribed in abc from the very clear
manuscript in the possession of the NPS:

X:NPS Collection
T:Whin Shields on the Wall
C:John L. Dunk
Q:1/4=100
M:2/4
L:1/16
K:G
z6 d2 |B2G2 G2B2 |A2D2 D2D2 |G2G2 GABc |d3B d2g2 |e2c2 c2e2 |d2G2 G2AB |c2E2
E2FG |ABcd e2fg |
decB ABGF |G3E G2B2 |e2B2 B2e2 |d3A d2e2 |a2e2 e2f2 |g3e g2f2 |e2d2 c2B2 |A2d2
d2fd |A2d2 e2fg |
a3g gfed |B2G2 GABG |A2D2 D2EF |G2G2 GABc |d6 g2 |e2c2 c2de |d2G2 G2AB |c2B2
A2G2 |dedB GAGE |
c3F Fd2G-|G3E G4 |]

I'm not convinced that this is anything else other than nonsense. It starts
familiarly but then goes completely mad ( a brief allusion to 'Il est né, le
Divin Enfant' creeps in) and goes all over the place.  I agree, though . . . a
very interesting character!

> Mr Dunk was heavily involved in the highbrow music scene

He may have thought he was, but did the highbrow music scene agree?

Francis