I would like to thank Dave for the effort he has put into this. I do not believe the piece is without merit, but it is beyond my personal musical capacity.

Quoting Dave Shaw <d...@daveshaw.co.uk>:

Well, the educated musicians of Dunks day tended to be snobbish and condescending towards and musicians.
We would do well to avoid that pitfall in return.

I think that the attitude of educated musicians and the professional classes to what they themselves classified as "folk" music was a little complex. As well as condescension, there was also fear, suspicion, admiration, envy.......

I think they didn't get it! If I feel any suspicion towards that class it is hugely mitigated by the Christmas Carols of Ralph Vaughan Williams which I think show how a Classical or highbrow Composer can be influenced by the indigenous music of Britain in much the same way as Middle European composers took the music of their own regions as inspirations for their compositions.

Here it is, amended. I hope it reads OK as melody leaves a lot of dross which I had to edit out.

I would like to hear an audio clip of your version. I for one do not read well enough to appraise your ABC

Pay more attention next time, because it works OK even if a little unfamiliar.

You have just echoed my gut instinct.

Barry