Windows NTools E-News[tm] Electronic Newsletter
                Vol. 5, #1 - Jan 10, 2000
Published by sunbelt-software.com since 1996 - ISSN: 1527-3407
 'Immediate Notification Of Important Windows NT/2000 Events'
******************* over 500,000 SUBSCRIBERS*****************

This 'CERTIFICATION Special' of NTools E-News contains:

1. EDITORS CORNER
2. GUEST COLUMN: Windows 2000 MCSE Program Explained
3. NT RELATED NEWS
      * GREAT NEW BOOK FOR WINDOWS 2000 CERTIFICATION
      * NEW FREE EXCHANGE LIST SERVER ANNOUNCED
      * DEAL OF THE MONTH: GET WIN2K MCSE CERTIFIED FREE
      * WHAT FREE WIN2K TRAINING IS MICROSOFT OFFERING?
4. NT THIRD PARTY NEWS
      * NEW TOOL TO HELP REMOTE INSTALLS
5. HINTS AND TIPS
6. HOW TO USE THE MAILING LIST
Instructions on how to subscribe, sign off or change your address.

*****************************SPONSOR**********************************

Are you getting the most out of your investment in SMS?  Impress your
manager with Web Reports for Microsoft SMS---the easiest way to publish
information from SMS 1.2 and 2.0.  Imagine accessing all your SMS data
from any web browser including PC serial numbers, full BIOS information,
and even UNIX systems. Full data mining capabilities allow you to summa-
rize the information to meet your business needs.  Drill down to see the
details on individual systems and even take remote control---all without
ever leaving your web browser.  http://www.computingedge.com/ntools

********************WHAT IS NTOOLS E-NEWS?***************************

Sunbelt Windows NTools E-News is the World's first and largest
E-Newsletter designed for NT/2000 System Managers that have the job
to get and keep NT up & running in a production environment. Sunbelt
launched this electronic newsletter early 1996. Every week we keep
the Windows NT/2000 community informed and aware of new developments
of NT and 3-rd party NT System Management Tools. You get hints and
tips that will enable you to better utilize and understand Windows
NT/2000 and help you to pass your Certification Exams.

Via (separate) NTools E-NewsFlashes we will send you important
breaking news like new service packs, killer viruses, etc. Sunbelt
Software is the first and largest provider worldwide of Third
Party System Management Tools for Windows NT. Tell Your Friends!
All back issues are here, searchable and indexed on key words:
http://lyris.sunbelt-software.com/scripts/lyris.pl?enter=nt-list&text_mode=0

1. "EDITORS CORNER"

Greetings,

If you are new to this list, welcome! You are in the good company
of well over 500,000 colleagues that run NT and/or are working
on their Microsoft, Novell, Cisco or other Certifications. You can
unsubscribe at any time and you will not hear from us again, but I
strongly suggest you read a few issues before you decide to leave
the list. Too much exciting NT/2000 and Certification related news
is happening all the time.

Now that Y2K has been a resounding success, we can focus on getting
Year 2000 really on a roll. Most of us have worked our buns off to
make sure that the roll-over was a non-event and we succeeded in
doing so. Take a WIN! Now up to the projects that were on hold.

Most companies will implement web and e-commerce sites and a lot
of focus will go into Security this coming year. Also a good time
to get your Windows 2000 Certification going. We have a guest
columnist this issue. Ed and I are co-authors of an NT book that is
doing very well. Ed is a Certification Guru of Exam-Cram fame.

I have found some good resources for you, keep reading!

Warm regards,

Stu.

Email me with comments
at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

2. GUEST COLUMN: Windows 2000 MCSE Program

Dear Readers:

My name is Ed Tittel. You may recognize me as the co-author of Stu's
wildly successfully book "The Windows NT Power Toolkit." That probably
explains why Stu asked me to guest-author a column for his online
news. As some of you may already know, I am also the series editor
for Certification Insider Press's equally popular "Exam Cram" series
for MCSE and CNE topics, and helped to design the series in the first
place.

My company, LANWrights, Inc., follows the certification market closely,
and is keenly interested in the Windows 2000 MCSE, whose details have
been emerging since last fall, when Microsoft announced the retirement
of the Windows NT 3.51 MCSE in July, 2000, and the retirement of the
Windows NT 4.0 MCSE at the end of December, 2000. MCSEs who hold out-
of-date credentials have one year past the retirement date to recertify,
and what you'll be looking at here covers the requirements for the
newly minted Windows 2000 MCSE. It also covers what existing MCSE must
--and should-- do to upgrade their certifications.

The material you see here consists of rewritten copy from Coriolis'
twice-monthly e-mail known as the "Exam Cram Insider Newsletter"
(sign up at http://www.coriolis.com/cip/). I've updated it to reflect
recent announcements and exam retirements from Microsoft, but am
pleased to report that my initial assessment of the program, as long
ago as September 1999, still remains pretty accurate.

THE WINDOWS 2000 MCSE PROGRAM

On September 20, 1999, Microsoft stunned the certification world by
simultaneously announcing the outlines of its Windows 2000 MCSE/MCP
certification program, while also announcing the retirement of exams
and credentials related to Windows NT 3.51 and Windows NT 4.0. There's
no shortage of information on this subject, but to get it from the
source, try visiting:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/1999/sept99/W2Kpr.htm for
a press release, and

http://www.microsoft.com/mcp/certstep/mcsefaq.htm for an informative
FAQ on the subject of Windows 2000 certification, or

http://www.microsoft.com/mcp/examinfo/retired.htm for information about
MCSE exams that are scheduled for retirement.

On the other hand, if you'd rather not wade through all the official
Microsoft-ese, or get a summary first, why not let me give you a
quick-and-dirty overview? Here goes:

      * The New and Improved Windows 2000 MCSE *

Those who elect to pursue Windows 2000 certification straight out,
must take seven exams (one more than the old NT 4.0 MCSE):

Core requirements (take all four):

70-210: Installing, Configuring, & Administering Windows 2000 Prof.
70-215: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Windows 2000 SV
70-216: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Windows 2000 Network
        Infrastructure
70-217: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Windows 2000
        Directory Services Infrastructure

Next, there's a "secondary category" that includes three exams, from
which all candidates must pass one exam (please note: use of the term
"secondary category" is my own invention, and not Microsoft-ese):

70-219: Designing a Windows 2000 Directory Services Infrastructure
70-220: Designing Security for a Windows 2000 Network
70-221: Designing a Windows 2000 Network Infrastructure

Finally, candidates must also take and pass two elective exams, which
will probably include upgraded versions of most existing electives,
plus any of the following (pay attention, things get weird here):

Exams 70-219, 70-220, or 70- 221 (as long as that exam isn't already
        counted as a core requirement)
70-222: Upgrading from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 Any exam not
        destined for retirement when the Windows 2000 exams are
        officially released (which we guess might show up early in
        Q3 2000 at the very soonest) still counts as an elective
        for Windows 2000 MCSEs. Right now, this is a pretty limited
        set.

- Maintaining currency for existing MCSEs:

Instead of taking all four required exams (70-210, 70-215, 70-216, and
70-217), MCSEs who are qualified under the NT 4.0 track can take Exam
70-240: Windows 2000 Accelerated, which will be available until June
30,2001, with a release date to be determined some time next year. To
qualify for 70-240, candidates must have taken and passed all three
NT 4.0 core exams: 70-067 Windows NT 4.0 Server, 70-068 Windows NT 4.0
Server in the Enterprise, and 70-073 Windows NT 4.0 Workstation.

Also, existing MCSEs must also pick one exam from the secondary category,
(meaning one of 70-219, 70-220, or 70-221), and they must replace any
electives that are scheduled for retirement when the Windows 2000 exams
appear.

Today, the ranks of elective exams scheduled for retirement includes
not only the core NT 4.0 exams (70-058 Networking Essentials, 70-067
Windows NT 4.0 Server, 70-068 Windows NT 4.0 Server in the Enterprise,
and 70-073  Windows NT 4.0 Workstation), but also many of the most
popular electives  for the Windows NT 4.0 MCSE:
  * 70-059 TCP/IP
  * 70-077 IIS 3.0
  * 70-087 IIS 4.0

Unfortunately, this means that many MCSE who chose electives on the off
chance that they might also pursue an MCSE+I at some point will almost
certainly have to replace 70-059 and 70-087 to upgrade their certifica-
tions to Windows 2000!

- What about MCSEs who certified on NT 3.51?

Those exams will be retired on June 30, 2000, so these individuals must
recertify within one year of that date. If they haven't already taken
all three NT exams for the NT 4.0 MCSE (which is to say 70-067, 70-068,
and 70-073) then they cannot take the Windows accelerated exam, 70-240,
to upgrade their certification, either. My advice for these guys is to
get the three NT 4.0 exams out of the way as soon as possible, and take
70-240 when it comes out, because prep materials for existing exams
will be easier to come by until the new exams have been out for at least
a couple of months (and the cost is the same, either way).

- What about MCSEs-in-progress who are getting certified on NT 4.0?

You MUST take the three NT 4.0 exams (70-067, 70-068, and 70-073) to
qualify to take the accelerated exam, 70-240. If you don't take these
exams, you are not eligible for 70-240. Consequently, you will want to
finish the aforementioned exams as soon as possible. If you take any
electives, take things like SQL 7.0 that won't be retired when Windows
2000 ships; instead of topics like TCP/IP and IIS 4.0, which probably
will be retired when Windows 2000 ships and the new exams are introduced.
If you're dying for an MCSE+I, finish it as soon as possible, and hope
you don't have to re-take too many exams too soon.

- But wait there's a bit of a silver lining!

NT 3.51 MCSEs have until June 30, 2001, to recertify for Windows 2000
topics; NT 4.0 MCSEs have until December 31, 2001, to recertify for
the same topics. Hopefully, they'll know sooner exactly how many exams
will be required to maintain currency (2 or 4), assuming that they have
the three exams out of the way to establish eligibility for the
Accelerated 70-240 exam.

Hopefully, this makes the broad requirements for upgrading an existing
MCSE clear, and also explains what newbies must do to jump on the Windows
2000 certification bandwagon. One final word of advice: if you've already
started on a Windows NT 4.0 certification, I strongly recommend that you
take 70-067, 70-068, and 70-073 and then aim at the 70-240 Accelerated
Windows 2000 exam, along with one of 70-219, 70-220, or 70-221.

Be sure to pick electives that have not yet been scheduled for retirement
(SQL 7.0-related exams are a safe bet, since SQL 7.0 works with Windows
2000 already), and you will only have to take 2 additional exams to
upgrade your MCSE to Windows 2000, and you can wait until the end of 2001
to take them. Just be sure to complete all your Windows NT 4.0 exams by
December 31, 2000, because that's when those tests retire for good.

Please let me know if you have any comments, criticisms, or questions
that relate to this column. E-mail me at [EMAIL PROTECTED] Happy New
Year to all of you, and good luck on your MCSE exams!
--Ed--

3. "NT RELATED NEWS"

      * GREAT NEW BOOK FOR WINDOWS 2000 CERTIFICATION

New Riders Publishing just came out with a brand new book called
'Inside Windows 2000 Server'. I immediately ordered a copy and it
arrived yesterday from Amazon.com. I had a look. Impressive! 1400
pages with the nitty gritty on how to get the most out of Win2K.
It's a very intelligent and comprehensive resource on Windows 2000
Server.

It's also an excellent resource if you want to study for your Win2K
Certification. I'd combine it with Computer Based Training study
aids. Amazon.com gives a lot of detail about what is in the book
and what the new stuff is in Win2K, like Active Directory.

To see what people are saying about the book, find out what topics
are covered and to get your copy with a discount, check out:
-------------------------------

      * NEW FREE EXCHANGE LIST SERVER ANNOUNCED

Sunbelt Software sponsors a few NT specific list servers. We have just
added a third list because people were asking for it on a very regular
basis. Apart from the MCSE-list, and the NTSYSADMIN list, you can now
also subscribe to the (of course FREE) ExchangeList. Subscribe here:

If you are studying for your Exchange Certification Exams, it would be
a very good idea to just subscribe to the list and 'lurk'. You will get
a thorough understanding of the problems you run into and how to solve
them.
-------------------------------

      * DEAL OF THE MONTH: GET WIN2K MCSE CERTIFIED FREE

Last week I was made aware of a deal that is actually pretty good.
ForeFront is largest vendor of Certification Tools in the USA, and
they have (for a limited time) an offer I thought you might like.
You get the MCSE Win 2000 upgrade course FREE when you pick up their
ClassWare for MCSE 4.0 at the regular price.

ForeFront's ClassWare for MCSE combines the personal attention of
instructor-led training with the convenience and affordability of
self-study courses for a complete course guaranteed to get you
certified. So basically they throw in your Win2K 'upgrade' free ;-)

You can call 1-877-TRAINING (877-872-4646), but you have to really
mention "code 54" to get this deal. Or you can also click your way
to their website where this offer is explained. Warmly Recommended.
http://www.techcourses.com/get_mcse_nt_2000_certified.htm?article=esn
-------------------------------

      * WHAT FREE WIN2K TRAINING IS MICROSOFT OFFERING?

There is quite a bit of training available from Microsoft for free
via their website. You should look into that as an additional study-
aid. There are quite a few very useful courses that will give you
good conceptual overviews of the topic. Things like the following:
- Active Directory Database Sizing and Traffic Analysis
- Designing a Microsoft Windows 2000 Directory Services Infrastructure
- Domain Migration Strategies and Windows 2000
- Storage Management in Windows 2000
- Virtual Private Networks with PPTP, L2TP, and IPSec
- Security Configuration Tool Set
And many, many more. Check out the MS Windows 2000 learning center:
http://www.microsoft.com/train_cert/learncenter/win2000/default.asp

4. NT THIRD PARTY NEWS

      * NEW TOOL TO HELP REMOTE INSTALLS

If you have ever installed products like Microsoft Internet Explorer,
Microsoft Java VM, Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 5 or 6, etc,
you would know that someone would normally have to logon the system
to complete the installation, when the system comes back up after
being rebooted by the product install.

You would also know that the person logging on has to have local
admin rights on the system to be successful.

Using the AutoRunOnce Service you do not have to do this. The Service
logs on for you and takes care of the installation cleanup. This makes
life a lot easier if you push out updates with products like SMS Server.

Pricing:
Individual license for one machine: $20 (online purchase only)
Site license: $495
Global License: $1,495.

More info:
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/autorunonce.htm

5. HINTS AND TIPS

The complete January 2000 issue of Microsoft Certified Professional
Magazine is now online with selected articles available to the public
for free at http://www.mcpmag.com/members/99dec/cimain.asp
(MCPs must log on to read the complete current issue).

Note: The issue will remain available until January 17. After that,
MCPs can obtain access to the issue online by becoming a Premier Area
member. (Premium title-holders can access the Premier Area for free.)
For details, visit http://www.mcpmag.com/2000mcpsubs.asp

Click:
http://lyris.sunbelt-software.com/scripts/lyris.pl?join=nt-list
and fill out the form, simple & easy: 1 minute work.

Or by email, send a blank message to the following address:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

TO QUIT THE LIST

1) The Web Way:
http://lyris.sunbelt-software.com/scripts/lyris.pl?
choose the NT-List, use your email address that is at
the bottom of each newsletter and leave the list via
the web interface.

2) The Email Way: Simply follow the personalized
instructions at the very end of this newsletter.
procedure above.

FOR MORE INFORMATION

On the World Wide Web point your browser to:

For the newsletter and our website:
USA: http://www.sunbelt-software.com

For Tech Support on Sunbelt products mentioned:
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/scripts/rightnow.exe

Email for US sales information to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Email for US Tech support to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Email to the US Editor:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Email for European Sales to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Email for European Tech support to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

At the time of this newsletter's release, all links were
checked to verify their accuracy and validity.  However,
due to the ever changing pages of various sites, some links
may later prove to be invalid.  We regret any inconvenience
should you be unable to open any of these links.

Things Our Lawyers Make Us Say:

This document is provided for informational purposes only.
The information contained in this document represents the
current view of Sunbelt Software Distribution on the issues
discussed as of the date of publication. Because Sunbelt
must respond to changes in market conditions, it should not
be interpreted to be a commitment on the part of Sunbelt
and Sunbelt cannot guarantee the accuracy of any informa-
tion presented after the date of publication.

INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THIS DOCUMENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS"
WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED,
INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND
FREEDOM FROM INFRINGEMENT.

The user assumes the entire risk as to the accuracy and the
use of this document. This document may be copied and
distributed subject to the following conditions: 1) All text
must be copied without modification and all pages must be
included; 2) All copies must contain Sunbelt's copyright
notice and any other notices provided therein; and 3) This
document may not be distributed for profit. All trademarks
acknowledged. Copyright Sunbelt Software Distribution, Inc.
1996-2000.

[archive@jab.org] This is a posting from the
nt-list, To unsubscribe, send a blank email
to [EMAIL PROTECTED]