Randall Skelton wrote:

Hi all,

Does anyone have a setuphead snipit and definition to place a large
chapter number in the right margin of the page on the first page of
each chapter?  I believe this should be similar (but simplier) than
what is done in 'ConTeXt an Excursion' but I wasn't able to find a
definition for that.  I'd be quite willing to put this up on the wiki
when I figure it out...

What I have so far doesn't really lead to much flexibility in terms of
positioning.  I'd like to be able to set both the horizontal and
vertical position of the chapter number.  I'd also like to have the
number shift vertically downwards for each new chapter.

\def\MyChapterText#1{#1 \inright{ \switchtobodyfont[MyTitling, 72pt] \rm \headnumber[chapter] }
}

\setuphead
  [Topic, chapter]
  [textcommand=\MyChapterText,
   style={\switchtobodyfont[MyTitling, 16pt]\sc},
   color=black,
   number=no,
   page=right,
   continue=no,
   header=empty,
   before=\vbox to 4cm\bgroup,
   after=\vss\egroup]

Many thanks,
Randall

From cont-eni.pdf, chapter Text elements:

:
command    \command#1#2
numbercommand    \command#1
textcommand    \command#1
:

Use textcommand only for text, numbercommand only for number,
command for both;
you can see some examples in section    Variations in titles .