>===== Original Message From Hans Hagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =====
>ishamid wrote:
>
>> lines all over the place in my work that compiled fine with the old ConTeX,
>> and I suspect that XeTeX may be responsible. Is there a way to completely
>> isolate the new stuff because I'm going to lose a lot of time trying to
track
>> down every situation where my previously well-behaved stuff now gives
errors
>> because of this.
>
>just put \endinput atthe topmost lin eof supp-dir.tex and remake the format

Those problems I told you about in a private email are still being caused by
supp-dir, even after  \endinput. I played around with supp-dir and thise
following works;-)

\unprotect

\chardef\inlinedirection\zerocount % 0==notset 1==LR 2==RL

\beginETEX \beginL

%  \def\pardir#1#2#3% messages end up in a higher level command
%    {\global\TeXXeTstate\plusone
%     \if#2L\chardef\inlinedirection\plusone\else
%     \if#2R\chardef\inlinedirection\plustwo\fi\fi
%     \checkinlinedirection} % needed / added

 %\appendtoks \checkinlinedirection \to \everypar % see core-ini.tex

  \def\checkinlinedirection
    {\ifcase\inlinedirection\or\beginL\or\beginR\fi}

\endETEX

\protect \endinput

It seems that the \checkinlinedirection is still needed or I get other errors.

I hope that you and Adam can up with something that won't kill me next time:-)

Best
Idris