Hi Hans, Aditya, and all,

Let me add another case to this discussion. For multiple choice questions, it
is nice to have the columns option. However, this produces somewhat
inconsistent results. In the code below, without Aditya's tweak, there is space
before the choices in the first two cases, which use columns, but not the last.
Aditya’s  tweak makes them more consistent.

Adding [columns, one] to the last \startchoices makes the results consistent.
When doing that, I noticed that the spacing between column rows is slightly
larger than the spacing between items without columns. So, I am happy using
[columns, one] as a solution for multiple choice problems, just somewhat
surprised by the difference.

Gavin

\starttext

%\unprotect
%\c_strc_itemgroups_spacing_mode\plusone
%\protect

\defineitemgroup[questions]
\setupquestions [1] [n]
\define\question{\item}

\defineitemgroup[choices]
\setupchoices [each] [A] [left=(, right=), width=1.7em, stopper=,]
\define\choice{\item}

Here are a few great looking multiple choice questions about colors.
\startquestions
\question What is your favorite color?
\startchoices[columns,four]
  \item Red
  \item Blue
  \item Green
  \item Magenta
\stopitemize
\question What is your least favorite color?
\startchoices[columns]
  \item Red
  \item Blue
  \item Green
  \item Magenta
\stopitemize
\question Toward which colors do you feel indifferent?
\startchoices
  \item Red
  \item Blue
  \item Green