On 1/15/2022 3:03 AM, musa furber via ntg-context wrote:
This week I updated ConTeXt minimals. Before then, I used the following code so that footnotes to Arabic passages would have parenthesis around them and use the digits used in Arabic texts in the Middle East (e.g. ٠١٢٣٤٥٦٧٨٩).

\setupnote [arfootnote] [
   headstyle={\switchtobodyfont[kitab]},
   textcommand=\footnotenotenumbercommand,
   alternative=text,
   ]
\define[1]\footnotenotenumbercommand{{\high{(\convertnumber{arabicdecimals}{#1})}}}

Since the update, for the 123rd footnote, I now get `(123arabic)` instead of `(١٢٣)`.

Elsewhere, I do get the expected output (i.e. `١٢٣٢`) when calling
\convertnumber{arabicdecimals}{1232}

I'm still relatively new to ConTeXt, so I'm unsure if what used really is correct, or if it was wrong and I now need to find the right way to do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Next time give a complete MWE with useable fonts

  \setupnotation
    [arfootnote]
     [numberconversion=arabicdecimals]

as in:

\setupbodyfont[dejavu]

\definenote
  [arfootnote]

\setupnotation
  [arfootnote]
  [numberconversion=arabicdecimals]

\setupnote
  [arfootnote]
  [headstyle={\switchtobodyfont[kitab]},
   textcommand=\footnotenotenumbercommand,
   alternative=text]

\protected\def\footnotenotenumbercommand#1{\high{(#1)}}

\starttext
    x\arfootnote{x}
\stoptext

The #1 passed can be anything that renderes the note so the converters sees rubish. You can see details with you add

\detokenize{#1}

in your macro.