Hi Julian,

How about using the keys in every instance?

\setupregister[index][n=1,method={zc,pc,zm,pm,uc},style=WORD]
\defineprocessor[special][style=italic]

\starttext
P\index[Plenary+periti]{Plenary Council+{\it periti} (experts)}
B\index[Plenary+beriti]{Plenary Council+{\it beriti} (experts)}
A\index[Plenary+aeriti]{Plenary Council+aeriti (experts)}

S\index[animals+special]{animals+‘special kinds’}
B\index[animals+bpecial]{animals+bpecial}
A\index[animals+apecial]{animals+‘apecial’}
U\index[animals+upecial]{animals+‘upecial’}
T\index[animals+tpecial]{animals+tpecial}

\placeindex
\stoptext

See result in: https://live.contextgarden.net/cgi-bin/result.cgi?id=j46XhZ

Adam