Hi Julian,

Another solution could be to use Lua.

I have a multilingual document in which some elements to be printed bold
(Language 1), and collected in an index (trk) arranged according their (verbal)
stems. Elements from Language 2 are to be printed in italics in the text and
collected in a separate index.

In the present example the morphemes from Language 2 are separated by ::, the
verbal stem ends in -.

In \\textbf the input is reproduced as is. Then interesting things happen in
the index (trk).

The first element (until the first ::) is taken as an main entry in the index
(hence !). Then the complete input is retained as the secondary entry. Note
that in the index - separates the morphemes.

I use LuaLatex, but I am quite sure this is also possible in Context.

It is quite complex, but it works.

Robert

\newcommand{\TWI}[1]{\directlua{twi_help(\luastring{#1})}}

\begin{luacode}
function twi_help ( s )
'\\textbf{%1::%2::%3%::%4::%5}\\sindex%[trk%]{%#%1!%1%-%2%-%3%-%4-%5}’ )

  s = unicode.utf8.gsub … other action

\end{luacode}

\begin{document}

text text text text \TWI{dī-::dū::kin::dah} text text text text text

\end{document}