Bruce, I suppose one way to achieve your aim, if there is no easy way to prevent superscript, would be to put your reference in parentheses: (See my video at link 1), followed by the normal superscript number for footnote anchors. You can still go with the endnotes.

The other thing, and I know this because I am often having to deal with long URLs, is to remember to use \hyphenatedurl{}, and you can determine separately where the breaks occur if the default is not to your liking.

I know it is not quite what you were looking for, but it would be a simple solution and not to distracting.

Julian