On 10/17/22 22:40, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
> On 10/17/2022 7:12 PM, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context wrote:
>> […]
>> The problem is clearly not the speed of the internet connection. I use
>> internet with the standard speed.
>>
>> There are two things that strike me as possible causes.
>> […]
> so then just do a complete install

Many thanks for your reply, Hans.

A complete install has revealed the real cause of the slow download: the
antivirus software (that works like crap).

The time that I thought it was downloading each single file, it was
really analyzing it.

Even worse, when the AV software didn’t like the contents of the file,
it saved an empty file (I have seen it with text and PDF documents).

I had a backup copy, so it updated it (manually) with what a new install
for Win64 (which I got in Linux64).

>> 2. The whole download is http instead of https.
>
> sure, but if you have the curl(lib) installed in principle one could do
> a secure install (I didn't really test it but it's in there)

curl is installed in both Linux and Windows (and there was no secure
install on any of them).

And according to lines 634-640 from mtx-install.lua, if curl isn’t
installed, the installation script should quit:

  if environment.argument("secure") then
    usecurl = checkcurl()
    if not usecurl then
      report("no curl installed, quitting")
      os.exit()
    end
  end

Or what am I missing here?

>> Is there anything that I could to to improve the download process?
> If per-file is slow at you end you can try to just install the whole lot
> (just delete the tex tree or at least the tma file that stores the
> hashes) because then the zip is downloaded and installed (one fetch).

Many thanks for your suggestion, since it helped to discover the real
cause of the non-working update.

Pablo