On Wed, Jul 05, 2023 at 04:43:56PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 7/5/2023 3:18 PM, Carlos wrote:
> > \showmakeup on \TeX\ shows a
> >
> > tSP:3.282
> > THK:-1.721
> > H__E
> > HK:-1.291
> > SP:3.282
>
> no MWE includes so clueless

\starttypescript[mylucidaserif]
  \definefontsynonym[LucidaBrightRegular]    [file:LucidaBrightRegular]
  \definefontsynonym[LucidaBrightItalic]     [file:LucidaBrightItalic]
  \definefontsynonym[LucidaBrightDemiBold]       [file:LucidaBrightDemiBold]
  \definefontsynonym[LucidaBrightDemiItalic] [file:LucidaBrightDemiItalic]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [mylucidaserif]
  \setups[font:fallback:serif]
  \definefontsynonym[Serif]                [LucidaBrightRegular]
[features=default]
  \definefontsynonym[SerifItalic]          [LucidaBrightItalic]
[features=default]
  \definefontsynonym[SerifBold]            [LucidaBrightDemiBold]
[features=default]
  \definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalic]      [LucidaBrightDemiItalic]
[features=default]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[mylucidasans]
  \definefontsynonym[LucidaSansRegular]    [file:LucidaSansRegular]
  \definefontsynonym[LucidaSansOblique]    [file:LucidaSansOblique]
  \definefontsynonym[LucidaSansDemiBold]    [file:LucidaSansDemiBold]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[mylucidasans]
  \setups[font:fallback:sans]
  \definefontsynonym[Sans]      [LucidaSansRegular] [features=default]
  \definefontsynonym[LucidaSansItalic]      [LucidaSansOblique]
[features=default]
  \definefontsynonym[LucidaSansSansBold]      [LucidaSansDemiBold]
[features=default]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [mylucidaserif]
  \definetypeface [mylucidaserif]    [rm] [serif] [mylucidaserif]    [default]
  \definetypeface [mylucidaserif]    [ss] [sans] [mylucidasans]    [default]
\stoptypescript

\setupbodyfont[mylucidaserif]
%\setupbodyfont[mylucidasans]
%\setupbodyfont[14pt]

\starttext

Thus, I came to the conclusion that the designer of a new
system must not only be the implementer and first
large||scale user; the designer should also write the first
user manual.

The separation of any of these four components would have
hurt \TeX\ significantly. If I had not participated fully in
all these activities, literally hundreds of improvements
would never have been made, because I would never have
thought of them or perceived why they were important.

But a system cannot be successful if it is too strongly
influenced by a single person. Once the initial design is
complete and fairly robust, the real test begins as people
with many different viewpoints undertake their own
experiments.

\stoptext

>  > I assume that SP stands for space. Correct me if I'm wrong
> >
> > After reading some of the manuals that mention \showmakeup with and
> > without [spaces] and so forth, I couldn't find any more info related
> > to this.
> >
> > If anyone can provide me more information as to what does HK means there?
>
> horizontal kern

thanks

(sorry for duplicate messages. sending out to mailing list works
sporadically Sometimes works, other times doesn't).

> > Anyhow
> >
> > If I were to have, say, a control _word_ such as \TeX\, the sequence of
> > TeX kerning is thrown off. The only remedy would be to have a a \qquad
> > preceding the control sequence e.g., {\qquad
> > \TeX\ significantly} to sort of ameliorate this side-effect. But then
> > again. Spacing is off. e.g.,
>
> no MWE so a space cam come from anywhwere
>
> > The separation of any of these four components would have
> > hurt {\qquad\TeX\ significantly}. If I had not participated fully in
>
> x{\showmakeup[glue]x\qquad x}x
>
> imo \qquad is okay
>
> > But it's interesting that \showmakeup, kerning and spaces would
> > display what's to be expected. And yet, the aformentioned set of
> >
> > tSP:3.282
> > THK:-1.721
> > H__E
> > HK:-1.291
> > SP:3.282
> >
> > is accurate nevertheless. And a very nice implementation at that,
> > but one I fear can't be included on a final document either.
> >
> > With that being said, the introduction of a \qquad, in addition to
> > \showmakeup with, say, redundancy aside, whatever is preceding the \TeX\
> > alongside the file would also introduce a space where no space was ever
> > there before.
> >
> > Because of all of this, and unfortunately, \showmakeup is not quite helpful
> > here either. Although it does so displays the amount of spaces and
> > so forth, any addition of a \qquad also adds a very subtle unwanted
> > space.
>
> qquad is not that subtle: 2em
>
> > And since we're looking here, I pressume, solely for accuracy and
> > perfection, we're left here with neither: zero, zip. It evaporates.
> puzzled
>
> > Dear Emily:
> >     I'm still confused as to what groups articles should be posted
> > to.  How about an example?
> >             -- Still Confused
> >
> > Dear Still:
>
> can we omit these confusing additions in mails to the list? looks / sounds
> like a 'bot' to me
>
> Hans

>        tel: 038 477 53 69 | www.pragma-ade.nl | www.pragma-pod.nl

Imagine that Cray computer decides to make a personal computer.  It has
a 150 MHz processor, 200 megabytes of RAM, 1500 megabytes of disk
storage, a screen resolution of 4096 x 4096 pixels, relies entirely on
voice recognition for input, fits in your shirt pocket and costs $300.
What's the first question that the computer community asks?

"Is it PC compatible?"