On Aug 15, 2023, 8:56 AM -0600, Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl>, wrote:

> afaik mkiv always had modern as default an dnot the designsize
> typescript (after all, we only have math 10pt)

From font-pre.mkiv:

%D By default we load the Computer Modern Roman fonts (but
%D not yet at this moment) and activate the 12pt roman
%D bodyfont.

-)

> well, in type-imp-latinmodern.mkiv i can find 'designsize' ... you're
> not relying on some gpt driven search machine are you?

No just the search files feature in Notepad++ -)

Ok, looking at type-imp-latinmodern.mkiv, under latin-modern-designsize, I see
references to design weights and styles but not to optical sizes. So no
lmroman5-regular, lmroman6-regular... lmroman17-regular. There is only
reference to lmroman10, which is why my initial search came up with no results.

Ah, the abstraction happens here I think:

\definetypeface [\typescriptone] [\s!rm] [\s!serif] [latin-modern-designsize]
[\s!default] [\s!designsize=\s!auto]

so [\s!designsize=\s!auto] means there is no explicit call to lmroman8-regular
etc.? Interesting..

Ok, let's try it:

=======
\setupbodyfont[modern-designsize]

\startTEXpage[offset=1em]
Test {\tfa Test} {\tfb Test} {\tfc Test} {\tfd Test} {\tfx Test} {\tfxx Test}
\stopTEXpage
=======

Now we get

=======
mkiv lua stats  > loaded fonts: 4 files: latinmodern-math.otf,
lmroman10-regular.otf, lmroman12-regular.otf, lmroman8-regular.otf
=======

So three optical sizes are implemented. But there should be more, e.g., \tfd
should use lmroman17-regular etc.

>>> (likely we will go for \enableexperiments[fonts.compact] anyway which is
>>> also more efficient)

>>Ok, that would be very helpful; many thanks.

> it might process your arabic a bit faster

Ah, great. Am looking forward to learning how to
\enableexperiments[fonts.compact] etc. once it's implemented.

Best wishes
Idris
--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid