On Sat, Jan 27, 2024 at 19:12 (+0100), Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context wrote:

> On 1/27/24 17:44, Jim wrote:
>> The wiki page for \setupexternalfigure says
>>      "Show frame around image. Most(?) options of \setupframed are usable!"

Hi Pablo,

> I’m afraid that this is a too generous statement.

I can't disagree with you!  ;-)

> https://www.pragma-ade.com/general/qrcs/setup-en.pdf#page=218 shows
> which keys and values \setupexternalfigure allows.

Thanks for that pointer.

>> I tried to put a frame around a picture (using \externalfigure with
>> frame=on) but I didn't get the frame to play nicely (see example below).  I
>> can get the frame where I want it if instead I do
>>      \framed[frame=on,...]{\externalfigure...}
>> but this leaves me wondering whether
>> (1) I am misinterpreting the wiki pages,
>> (2) The wiki pages are misleading/wrong, or

> I would say, that the offset and frameoffset don’t seem to be available
> in \setupexternalfigure.

And yet, experiments suggest that frameoffset does indeed do something (in,
specifically, \externalfigure, I didn't yet try \setupexternalfigure).

Given that frameoffset does something and is not mentioned in setup-en.pdf,
I will add to my wonderment

(2') the summary in setup-en.pdf is incomplete.

>> (3) There is a bug in some code.

>> If anyone would care to enlighten me, I would appreciate it.

>> In particular, the offset=... option of \externalfigure does not seem to be
>> consistent with the offset=... option of \framed.

> I hope it is clear now.

Well, given that (at least on my computer, with context updated a couple of
days ago) frameoffset does do something.  So I still see an inconsistency.

I would be happy to help out by editing the wiki to accurately describe
reality.  The problem is, I'm not sure what reality is supposed to be on
this point.  For example, if I edited the wiki to say that offset has no
effect in \setupexternalfigure, and it turns out that some (recent?) change
to something else broke 'offset=', then I wouldn't want to add
misinformation.

>> Here is the example... one and all should be able to directly run it, but
>> the text above and below each picture may make the issues clear without
>> having to run the code.  (The result I was looking for is the second figure
>> in this example.)

> To get offset in the frame of the image, you need a different frame from
> the external figure itself (or so it seems).

As I mentioned, on my system I can get a frame offset from the image
without using \frame, but unfortunately it is the type of frame which is
"invisible" to the layout of the page.

> I hope it helps,

It does (a bit), thanks again for your time.

                                Jim

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl /