� wrote:

When I was trying to use this feature for multipage document it cut of
all of the pages except the first.  I found out that the layers
weren't thought to be part of the content of the file but more like a
background and I can't figure out how to use them on many pages
without placing something like a dot on every page.  Is there any way
to do this?
I discovered that the layers were "inserted" into the document via
"\setupbackgrounds[page]" so I understand why it acts like this but I
am asking if there is some way of getting layers working like I want?
was this solved?

(btw, if you are positioning things in a n by n way, an option is to use small pages (A7 or so) and ise the page imposition xy feature to collect them on a page)

Another thing I was wondering about is how to make items like images
bleed (that is to go over the edge of the paper, to avoid white lines
at the margin).  Can I use negative values for positioning to achive
that?
indeed,

\setposition[...][hoffset=2mm,voffset=-2mm,...]

(in principle h(v)offset and x(y) do similar things but having two keys for each makes it possibel to separate the bleed from the positioning)