I have once tried to set up TeX on gentoo, and found this to be the most complicated and least user-friendly distribution I have ever seen. There's a bunch of texmf-trees in all kinds of bizarre locations, and a symlink farm in /etc like you wouldn't believe, and there's not a shred of documentation to be seen anywhere. So they make everything as complex as possible, but the TeX binaries are simply dumped into /usr/bin, so the only way to update is via the emerge system. But enough of this rant: be careful to figure out what cnf file is a symlink and which one is "real." They have an entire web2c tree in /etc/conf.d/texmf, if memory serves right, and the cnf files are regenerated from texmf.d/00texmf.cnf or somesuch, so this is the file you need to modify. But in the end, you may find it's not worth the trouble: just unmerge tetex and install a vanilla teTeX system.

Best

Thomas