From: Hans Hagen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:53:51 +0100
Subject: Re: [NTG-context] Chinese

Richard Gabriel wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I can confirm that the UTF-8 input doesn't work for me too.
> If I convert the file info GBK (CP936), it works fine [I suggest to
> use the 'iconv' utility for the conversion :-)].
>
> I tested the UTF-8 output the followin ways:
>
> 1)
> \enableregime[utf]
> \usemodule[chinese]

chinese is not yet defined in utf so if you want that, we need to do it

now, since the chinese remapping stuff is rather complex, the best
method is to consider a dedicated mechanism

question: do the unicode tables cover gbk and big 5 well?

assuming this, how about making a set of tfm,enc,map files that match
the unicode positions (volunteers ...)

we can extend the utf handler with a kind of plugin mechanism:

\unprotect

\def\utfunihashglyph#1%
[EMAIL PROTECTED]@EA{\number\utfdiv{#1}}{#1}} % only div once

\def\doutfunihashglyph#1#2% div raw
{\csname
\ifnum#2<\[EMAIL PROTECTED]
\strippedcsname\unicodeasciicharacter
\else\ifcsname\@@unicommand#1\endcsname
\@@unicommand#1%
\else\ifcsname\@@univector#1\endcsname
\@@univector#1%
\else
\strippedcsname\unicodeunknowncharacter
\fi\fi\fi
[EMAIL PROTECTED]@EA{\number\utfmod{#2}}} % only mod once

\def\unicodeunknowncharacter#1%
{\unknownchar}

\let\utfunihash\utfunihashglyph

\def\@@unicommand{@@unicommand}

\def\defineutfcommand #1 #2%
{\setvalue{\@@unicommand#1}##1{#2{#1}{##1}}}

so we can define pluig in handlers for e.g. chinese

\defineutfcommand 81 {\uchar}

(bombs due to missing fonts, so for testing)

\def\NotYet#1#2{[#1 #2]}

\defineutfcommand 81 {\NotYet}

(next comes adapting the chinese files; i can imagine that we redo the
big5 and gbk definitions so that they remap to ut8 as common encoding)

so .. the question is ... who is going to make the tfm/enc/map files