Taco,

thanks a lot! Your bibtex module is an amazing one-man-show! Yes, this seems to work: having
\setupbibtex[database=bibliography]

in the products.tex file and a line

\usepublications[products]

in the components. I needed several runs of ConTeXt to get rid of many ?? when typesetting single components, but now it appears to work. More about this book project soon. (I'm negotiating with my publisher, Blackwell. They want it "typeset professionally," and I'm trying to convince them that typesetting doesn't get any more professional than that...).

Best

Thomas