Hans van der Meer wrote:
(1) My intention was to place some material into the left margin on the page, but did not succeed.

Added to the collector. I'm positive that there is at least a little
bug somewhere in your list of problems, but I have no time right now
to do research.

(2) Second question. Is there a mechanism whereby one can force the float to at least the next page when there is no room for it below the current point on the page?

There is:

  \startpostponing
    <stuff with postponed floats>
  \stoppostponing

I believe it is mentioned in a manual somewhere, but don't recall
off-hand which one. However, I'm not confident that that mechanism
does precisey what you want, and it is definately not automatic.

Cheers, Taco