frantisek holop wrote:

> the first step to upgrade context is:
>
> --\startquote---------------------------------------------------
> Fix texmf.cnf
> --\stopquote----------------------------------------------------
>
> i deliberately skipped this one, and the new context worked without it.
> what does this precisely do?

See the answer to #2, already posted

> but it turned out that that this new line comes up anyway.  could anyone
> comment on it?

That line from texexec comes from paranoia in texexec, I think it
is displayed always.

> the next tip is to
>
> --\startquote---------------------------------------------------
> shell_escape = t
>
> in the default openbsd package this line says:
>
> shell_escape = f
>
> what is the difference?  and what is it for anyway?
> some external execution of the legends are true? :)

It allows tex to start programs on-the-fly. Most imprtantly metapost,
for the creation of graphics. It works fine without, but with the
'f' setting, usually an extra tex run is needed, loosing you valuable
time.

Cheers, Taco