As far as we are discussing about graphics, actually my favorite and
quick (and powreful) solution to produce pdf graphics not TeX-related
is to use the graphic facilities of R, generating automatically scripts
with code
(http://www.r-project.org/).

Best

-a-

On 22 Apr 2006, at 14:12, Jilani Khaldi wrote:

>> It is just my 2c, but I really dislike the Tioga approach. It feels
>> like typesetting a book in TeX by writing a single-shot pascal
>> program. ;-)
>>
>> Specifically, I find code like this (Tioga):
>>
>>   move_to_point(x0, y0)
>>   append_curve_to_path(x1, y1, x2, y2, x3, y3)
>>
>> far uglier than this (Asymptote/MetaPost):
>>
>>   z0.. controls z1 and z2 .. z3
>>

> Very true, but you forgot that in Tioga everything is done inside Ruby
> interpreter. Tioga is a Ruby extension so you could use the power of
> Ruby, its standard library and all the other extensions made for it
> inside Tioga.
> However, I don't like Asymptote, just seeing things like this:
> ----------------------
> struct parent {
> real x=1;
> public void virtual(int) {write (0);}
> void f() {virtual(1);}
> }
> parent operator init() {return new parent;}
> void write(parent p) {write(p.x);}
> struct child {
> parent parent;
> real y=2;
> void virtual(int x) {write (x);}
> parent.virtual=virtual;
> void f()=parent.f;
> }
> parent operator cast(child child) {return child.parent;}
> child operator init() {return new child;}
> parent p;
> child c;
> write(c); // Outputs 1;
> p.f(); // Outputs 0;
> c.f(); // Outputs 1;
> write(c.parent.x); // Outputs 1;
> write(c.y);
> ---------------
> But, do we really need a baroque language like this to just draw some
> primitive graphics?
>
> jk
>
> --
> Jilani KHALDI
> http://jkhaldi.oltrelinux.com

Andrea Valle
DAMS - Facoltà di Scienze della Formazione
Università degli Studi di Torino
http://www.semiotiche.it/andrea
[EMAIL PROTECTED]