Using the latest version of Gerben’s i-Installer (expert mode), I
completely erased teTeX,
re-installed the 2005 x86pc version, and then re-installed the latest
ConTeXt.

cd /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/
grep agr cont-en.log

produces
        encoding        : coding agr is loaded
        (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/enco-agr.tex)
        language        : patterns for agr not loaded
        language        : patterns for agr not loaded
and no more, which means that the ancient Greek hyphenation patterns
are not available, though they presumably should be since the files
lang-agr.hyp and
lang-agr.pat are in the right place,
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/patterns/.

When I try to regenerate the formats using

sudo ruby /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/scripts/context/ruby/
texmfstart.rb texexec --make --all

I get the error message

language        : patterns agr for agr loaded (n=24,e=agr,m=agr)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/patterns/lang-agr.pat
! Nonletter.
\rawcharacter ...r\or   \or
\or
     \or
\or     \or
                                                   \or \or \or \or
\or \...
l.37 α2Ϊ
           1
?

So no Greek hyphenation. I am baffled. And Thomas cannot reproduce
the problem at his end.
So, if anyone has any suggestions they will be gratefully received.

By the way, if it is at all relevant, I am running Mac OS X 10.4.6 on
a Power Mac G4 450 MHz.

Alan