On Sat, 30 Dec 2006, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> >> Hello Aditya,
> >>
> >> with the following example, I get always 2 runs:
> >>
> >> \definetwopasslist{test}
> >> \starttext
> >> bla
> >> \savetwopassdata{test}{1}{2}
> >> \stoptext
> >>
> >> Is this normal or a bug?
> >>

> > Hmm... I would have guessed that you will keep on getting infinite
> > runs, but apparently texexec decides that two are enough. I need to
> > look deeper to see if this is the intended behaviour. I would call it
> > a bug, since there can be cases which need more than two runs to
> > converge.
> >

> how about
>
> \savecurrentvalue\SomeVar{someval}

I was just copying the way it is done with other macros \lastpage,
etc. I will look at \savecurrentvalue also. However, something seems
to be wrong in tex.rb

Change

def processfile
  while ! stoprunning && (texruns < nofruns) && ok do
  end
end

def processfile
  while ! stoprunning && (texruns < nofruns) && ok do
  report("stoprunning #{stoprunning}")
  report("texruns=#{texruns}, nofruns=#{nofruns}")
  report("ok=#{ok}")
  report("while=#{! stoprunning && (texruns < nofruns) && ok}")
  end
end

so that we can see what takes us out of the while loop.

Take Petar's test file and run it through texexec. I get

TeXExec | stoprunning true
TeXExec | texruns=2, nofruns=8
TeXExec | ok=counter.tex
TeXExec | while=counter.tex

Notice that ok=\jobname. Shouldn't ok be a boolean. And the condition
for while is a string rather than a boolean. I am not too sure on what
ruby does for non boolean conditionals, but the present implementation
can break (under some crazy conditions, maybe). How about if in

def runtexutil(...)

there is a return ok in the end, for example

  begin
      logger = Logger.new('TeXUtil')
      if tu = TeXUtil::Converter.new(logger) and tu.loaded(fname) then
          ok = tu.processed && tu.saved && tu.finalized
      end
  rescue
      Kpse.runscript('texutil',fname,options)
  else
    return ok #<--------- added.
  end

Back to Peter's question, I gave a wrong explaination earlier. texexec
just checks if the tui file has changed. If the file did not change
from the last run, then it stops processing. So with

\savetwopassdata{test}{1}{2}

you will get two runs the first time you process the file, and a
single run if you reprocess the file. By default, the maximum number
of runs that you can have is 8, but you can change this by passing
--runs= to texexec

Aditya