I can also see a need for relative paths for inputted files. In my
setup, I like to compile individual components of my document. When I
need to look at whole document I'll do that at the end. For instance,
for inputting images, I put this line at the top of the component:

\setupexternalfigures[directory={Analysis/Figures,Figures}]

Then if I compile it from within the Analysis directory it can't find
the first path in the argument (Analysis/Figures) so it uses the
second (Figures). I'm sure you understand how the command works. Is
there a way to accomplish this in your module?