This was asked, but not answered before...

I've a big TABLE that needs to be rotated to fit width, but must
break over two or three pages.
Caption should stay horizontally (but that's not important).

I tried several attempts, some didn't display anything, none breaks
the table, e.g.:

\placetable[here,90][tab:religionen]{Götter}%
{\framed[width=\textheight, height=\textwidth]{\getbuffer[tab-
religionen]}}
% rotation included in the placetable parameters; with "page" instead
of "here" it didn't display anything.

% another failed attempt:
\rotate[width=\textheight, height=\textwidth, rotation=90]{%
\placetable[here][tab:religionen]{Götter}{\getbuffer[tab-religionen]}%
}

As you can guess, the whole table is in a buffer:

\startbuffer[tab-religionen]
\bTABLE[split=repeat]
\bTABLEhead
\bTR[bottomframe=on]\bTH Land \eTH\bTH Aspekt \eTH\bTH Aspekt \eTH
\bTH Aspekt \eTH\bTH Aspekt \eTH\bTH Aspekt \eTH\bTH Aspekt \eTH\bTH
Aspekt \eTH\bTH Aspekt  \eTH\eTR
\eTABLEhead
\bTABLEbody

\bTABLE[width=\textheight] sets the width of the first column to
\textheight - WHY?

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---