On 9/19/07, Hans Hagen wrote:
> btw,
>
> pdftex --ini &plain \\pdfoutput=1 \dump
>
> can do the same for you, but as said .. if the minimals would have plain
> formats they would default to dvi anyway so it would be of no help to you

pdftex.fmt and mpost.mem would be perfectly fine. No need for
plain.fmt (I guess). (And maybe xetex.fmt as a sugar, although that
one might need some additional files.)

It might be extremely simple to generate format the way you describe
above, but perhaps
    texexec --make pdftex mpost xetex
could have done the the same job instead (since people are used to it)?

Mojca