On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Mikael Persson wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> * snip *
>>
>>  I could reproduce the result and have also a fix but I don't know what
>>  the correct
>>  reults should be and other people like Aditya should decide if it makes
>> sense
>>  to change the current behaviour.
>>
>>  \def\startdisplaymath
>>   {\ifgridsnapping
>>      \beforedisplayspace
>>      \snapmathtogrid\vbox
> * snip *
>>  Wolfgang
>
> This fix seems not to solve the problem entirely. With this fix
> applied, If one now put a formula inside an enumeration one gets
> "double" space before the formula. This is a test file that shows the
> problem:

This is basically because in enumerations indenting is set to never.

You can see the same affect with

\setupindenting[no]
\testtext

One possible fix is to add

indenting=(reset|next|first) %default is never

to the \setupenumeration command. For example

          indenting=reset, %%<<<---- Add This
>        distance=0.5em,
>       way=bysection,
>        ]

Another is to change \startdisplaymath to

\def\startdisplaymath
   {\ifgridsnapping
      \beforedisplayspace
      \snapmathtogrid\vbox
      \bgroup
      \informulatrue
     %\forgetall % breaks side floats
    \else
      \bgroup
      \parskip\formulaparskip % ! !
      \informulatrue
     %\forgetall % otherwise backgrounds fail
      \ifdim\lastskip<\zeropoint\else
        \par
        \ifvmode \ifdim\parskip>\zeropoint\relax
          \whitespace \vskip-\parskip % kind of forces and cancels again
        \fi \fi
      \fi
      \doif\displaygridcorrection{-\v!top}{\kern-\strutht}% new, currently only
option/default
      \beforedisplayspace
      \par
      \ifvmode \ifdim\parskip>\zeropoint\relax \else
       \ifindentfirstparagraph
          \verticalstrut
          \vskip-\struttotal
          \vskip-\baselineskip