On Mon, Nov 10 2008, Yue Wang wrote:

> > As to the live, I think a patched Lua file (loslib.c) can solve this
> > problem:
> > remove the line
> >  {"execute",   os_execute},
> > in the static const luaL_Reg syslib[].
> >

> Moreover, if we do that, ConTeXt will not adapt to the "stripped down" LuaTeX.
> For example, mtxrun.lua contains many functions which depend on
> os.execute, and it even created some synonames as well:
>    if not os.exec  then os.exec  = os.execute end
>    if not os.spawn then os.spawn = os.execute end
> So, a simple line removal is not sufficient.

LuaTeX (and TeX/ConTeXt in general) is not compatible with security. The
cache for example must be writable for everyone. In my opinion, the only
options for live.contextgarden.net are:
- just don't care, if there is a problem, restore from backup
- chroot jail
- virtual machine with virtual disk in non-persistent mode (at boot time
  the disk is always a fresh installation)
- perhaps some other ideas...

But adding security to LuaTeX seems to me too much work (a lot of
exceptions, heavy security audit, problems with cache, problems with
compatibility, and so on...).

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/