Peter Münster wrote:

> LuaTeX (and TeX/ConTeXt in general) is not compatible with security. The

Depends a bit on how you define security but it is true that context
does not 'do well' in restricted environments. The luatex executable
actually has a --safer switch (a la ghostscript) but if it would be
turned on, context mkiv wouldn't work.

> In my opinion, the only options for live.contextgarden.net are:

> a) just don't care, if there is a problem, restore from backup

this is the current approach, and restore hasn't been needed yet
(afaik).

> b) chroot jail

possible new approach, but I suspect it won't be implemented until
after a).

> c) virtual machine with virtual disk in non-persistent mode (at boot time
>   the disk is always a fresh installation)

i doubt this could be made to work as-is (contextgarden.net itself
is a fairly limited virtual machine)

> - perhaps some other ideas...

A variation of c) may well be possible. Actually, if we can find funding
we could even move contextgarden.net + context/maps.aanhet.net to a
dedicated server. I could easily arrange hardware and a hosting spot
for that, but we would have to set up some kind of paypal construct
to get the finances sorted out. Patrick, Mojca, Hans, if there is
interest is such a solution, just let me know, and I will investigate
further.

Best wishes,
Taco