John Devereux wrote:

I really don't want to create work if you think it is not
worthwhile. But - as a non-texpert - I do think it is a problem.

It is compounded by:

- Many command options are not documented, so one experiments a lot

so .. help us with that -)

- Excess whitespace not only invalidates options, it does so
  silently. The combination is *very* unexpected, and I don't think it
  is that well known. At any rate I used context for 5 years without
  realising something pretty fundamental! (Is it even mentioned in the
  manual?)

  Anyway, the option then has no effect, so one tries a few more...

well, it has to do with what one wants to set up with an option:

a=b,c=d,e= f,g = h

key=value with no space in between; spaces in between will be part of the key or value

of course i could be more liberal but it involves a bit more parsing; keep in mind that we had this key/value system right from the start (long ago) and then speed was more an issue than on todays machines