On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 17:10, R. Bastian wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 16:55:56 +0200
> "R. Bastian" scribit:
>
>> "ruby $TEXMFCONTEXT/scripts/context/ruby/texexec.rb <texfile>"
>>
>> Haha ! with this tip I get an error message from 'pdftex' :
>> libstdc++.so.5 ... No such file ...

Taco, what's the state with this particular library dependency?

There are two problems:
- texexec might not always check if pdftex fails and it eats some
messages inbetween
- library dependency should be fixed

>> The libstdc++6 is installed. What can I do ?
>>
> I installed libstdc++5 - now pdftex complains "cant find ... 'cont-en.fmt' "

What about
    texexec --make --all
?

When I started using ConTeXt (2004) the average running time for
"hello world" documents was definitely somewhere between 30 seconds
and a minute. But it has improved dramaticaly over time (3 seconds in
the second run as I mentioned) whereas LaTeX runtime has increased.

But TeXLive 2007 is not so old after all, so it's still a bit strange.

> i dont know if it is of interest for you:
> - I switched back to TL2007 (now pdftex finds 'cont-en')
> - texexec source.tex compiles 3 min 14 sec for 1 page of pdf
> - pdftex -fmt cont-en compiles  1 sec and produces a dvi file

Weird. Maybe texexec does some crazy stuff, but it's a bit hard to
tell what exactly.

Mojca