On Aug 18, 2009, at 6:15 PM, John Culleton wrote:

Tried to install context minimals including the steps
mktexlsr
texexec --make --all
No errors at this point.  But when I tried to run pdftex
I get the error message
I can't find the format file `pdftex.fmt!'

That file is not anywhere in my personal directory. It is however in
my bigger texlive 2008 installation.
The set command shows:
TEXMFCACHE=/home/safer/context/tex/texmf-cache
TEXMFOS=/home/safer/context/tex/texmf-linux
TEXROOT=/home/safer/context/tex
so that part is OK.

Any hints?

You are using ConTeXt minimals. You are using texexec to generate the ConTeXt formats (cont-en.fmt etc.). Why would you expect a format file for pure pdftex to be produced?

Thomas