I should add that when my .bash_profile has
. /Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/setuptex /Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/
I cannot compile any file because of the mismatch between format and base files.

If I change my .bash_profile to
. /Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/setuptex
/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin
as suggested in
When you want to use context, you need to initialize the tree by typing:
  . /Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/setuptex
in your shell or add
  "/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin"
to PATH variable if you want to set it permanently.
This can usually be done in .bashrc, .bash_profile
(or whatever file is used to initialize your shell).
I get the error message
The argument "/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin" is not a
valid TEXROOT path.
(There is no file
"/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin/texmf/tex/plain/base/plain.tex")

Alan