On Dec 3, 2009, at 8:22 AM, luigi scarso wrote:

Not really.

My apologies, lost the thread of the discussion. I agree w/ this.

With mkiv you can typeset xml files as pdf,
so you can also (using modes) convert it to xhtml (we have lua now).
Writing a css is not a problem, and you can also manage fonts -- after all
you know them because you need for pdf . Other  infos are trivial.

Following this route you can also make an (x)html for a WOFF enable browser
like firefox 2.6 beta -- it's almost the same of epub, after all
Cfr
people.mozilla.com/~jkew/woff/woff-spec-latest.html

Of course none can say that epub is like pdf from a typographical point of view
but for low energy devices can be better epub than pdf.

I'll grant that .epub can be more flexible and more appropriate, but one has to keep in mind that one is giving up quite a bit of typographical quality, and that one is at the mercy of the h&j of the viewing program and I've yet to see one which puts more than a minimal / brain-dead / greedy --- set as much as will fit on the current line and then break to the next algorithm in.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer