I just became aware of the fact that a comma in a directory name like "dir, so-and-so" is failing too. No doubt there will be others that are allowed in those names but resist \setupexternalfigures. I guess I will have to live with that. Though Hans might feel tempted to sort it out once and for all.....

Hans van der Meer