On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Robert Blackstone
<blackstone.rob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thu, 25 Mar 2010 13:26:19 +0100 luigi scarso <luigi.sca...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> <blackstone.rob...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> What should I do to get the page in the middle of the paper so to
>>> speak, instead of shifted to the left, which happens with
>>> \setuplayout[location=middle]?? I tried specifying leftedgewidth but
>>> that does not change anything.
>> hm, strange, try
>>
>> \setuppapersize[A4][A3]
>> \setuplayout[location=middle,
>>             backspace=23mm,
>>             margin=15mm,margindistance=3mm,
>>             width=fit,
>>             ]
>> \setupinmargin[left][align=left,foregroundcolor=red]
>> \setupinmargin[right][align=right,foregroundcolor=blue]
>> \showlayout
>> \starttext
>> --
>> luigi
>
> Thank you, Luigi.
> This code gives a nice result with the page sitting neatly centered on
> the paper.
>
> However, when I increase the margin width to 25mm all gets shifted to
> the left. Both margins get 25 width, the right margin stays within the
> boundaries of the A4 paper, the left one is pushed outside. One would
> have expected that with width=fit, the increase of marginwidth would
> go at the expense of textwidth and that location=middle will still
> dictate the overall position.
> But no, it does not work that way apparently. Setting  margin=20mm is
> about the limit. Even setting textwidth to a small size, for example
> 10 cm, does not work to keep the page inside the paper. The extra
> white space all shows up at the right side as an enormously wide
> rightedge while the left margin is still partly outside the paper. In
> other words: location=middle does not work.
> Strange indeed.
for expected behavior must be
backspace >= margin + margindistance
Try
backspace=23mm,margin=21mm,margindistance=2mm,
backspace=23mm,margin=23mm,margindistance=0mm,
backspace=23mm,margin=18mm,margindistance=0mm,
backspace=23mm,margin=2mm,margindistance=21mm,

> Is there anything that could be done about this?
> And would it be possible to different margin width for the right and
> left margin?
yes there are right and left dimensions, but you should definitely
experiments with them

--
luigi