Michael Saunders <odradek5 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Taco:
>
> > Try
> >
> >    \setuppublications[alternative=num]
>
> Thank you, but using that I get the same result:

Mk II gets the desired result; Mk IV does not.

Example:

\usemodule[bib]
\setuppublications[alternative=num,refcommand=num]
\setupbibtex[database=bibl-test]

\starttext

\subject{Text}

Sentence referring to Shue’s article. \cite[Shue:1978lg]

Sentence referring to Sussman’s article. \cite[Sussman:2005oz]

\subject{References}
\placepublications

\stoptext

bibl-test.tex

@article{Sussman:2005oz,
        Author = {Sussman, David},
        Journal = {Philosophy \& Public Affairs},
        Number = {1},
        Pages = {1--33},
        Title = {What's Wrong with Torture?},
        Volume = {33},
        Year = {2005}}

@article{Shue:1978lg,
        Author = {Shue, Henry},
        Journal = {Philosophy \& Public Affairs},
        Number = {2},
        Pages = {124--143},
        Title = {Torture},
        Volume = {7},