In mkIV the option seems mandatory too. Otherwise I get the empty brackets. But
only the authoryear and authoryears works for me. Not authornum.

This is how I use it. (following the habit of using natbib in Latex)

\usemodule[bib]
\setupbibtex
 [database={Manuscript},
  sort=author]
\setuppublications[numbering=yes]
\def\LocalRefList {\subject{References}\placepublications[criterium=chapter,
option=continue]}
\def\citet[#1]{\cite[authoryear][#1]}
\def\citep[#1]{\cite[authoryears][#1]}

The line
\def\LocalRefList {\subject{References}\placepublications[criterium=chapter,
option=continue]}
worked in mkII but not in mkIV.

Best regards,

Salil