On 10-5-2010 7:27, Marco wrote:
1. || does *not* produce a en-dash but to kerned hyphens
You're right, I looked it up in the sources. It just looked like an
en-dash for me. But this is wrong. For hyphenation a hyphen is used. The
font designer has created a dedicated glyph for this purpose. And two
hyphens (or an en-dash) is too large. I've never seen the advice in a
typography book to kern two hyphens. I don't know why this is
implemented like this.

because we needed it to be this way: we use it for separating compound words and then we want to have the hyphen between the compounds to be different from the ones within ... dates back more than ten years (educational usage) .. also, the reason for kerned hyphens instead of an endash is simple: the endash is too thin (at least in lm)

anyhow, when i want normal hyphens i just do |-| always

2. The correct method to get a *normal* hyphen is

     \setuphyphenmark[sign=normal]

Yes, this is the correct method. It should be enabled by default. If
somebody wants a larger hyphen (for some mysterious reasen), he/she can set it
up with

\setuphyphenmark[sign=wide]

     If the output is not correct it's a bug.
Yes, it is a bug. Hans already confirmed and said, he'll fix it, but it is not
yet done, that's why I wanted to remember him. You can try and run the example
from my first post. With Thomas' workaround the output is OK, but it is only a
workaround. I (and probably many other users) would like to have correct
behaviour by default.

this works ok here (and i'm prety sure that it's also ok a few betas ago)

\starttext

test||test

\setuphyphenmark[sign=normal]

test||test

test|-|test

\stoptext

and the defaults are unlikely to change, but you can set it in your local cont-sys.tex file