> > You're right, I looked it up in the sources. It just looked like an
> > en-dash for me. But this is wrong. For hyphenation a hyphen is
> > used. The font designer has created a dedicated glyph for this
> > purpose. And two hyphens (or an en-dash) is too large. I've never
> > seen the advice in a typography book to kern two hyphens. I don't
> > know why this is implemented like this.
>
> because we needed it to be this way: we use it for separating
> compound words and then we want to have the hyphen between the
> compounds to be different from the ones within
That's not how it is done in everyday typography, seems to be more a
border case.

> .. also, the reason for kerned hyphens instead of an endash is simple:
> the endash is too thin (at least in lm)
That's true. The en-dash is condiderably thinner.

> this works ok here (and i'm prety sure that it's also ok a few betas
> ago)
>
> \starttext
>
> test||test
>
> \setuphyphenmark[sign=normal]
>
> test||test
>
> test|-|test
>
> \stoptext
Sure, my fault. This works. There _was_ a bug with the hyphen appearing
on the start of the next line. This is fixed. Thank you. I thought you
would also fix the »wrong« hyphenation sign, so I didn't check, just
assumed that both issues aren't fixed. So

\setuphyphenmark[sign=normal]

works now as expected (even if it's not the default). Thanks for this
fix.

> and the defaults are unlikely to change, but you can set it in your
> local cont-sys.tex file
Ah, I see. I was not aware of a user configuration file (wiki helps how
to set it up I just looked). So I can put my »personal« default hyphen
there.

Marco